VeraCrypt is a free, open source disk encryption program based on the popular TrueCrypt. Since TrueCrypt project was discontinued, VeraCrypt is now regarded as the successor of it. Security and vulnerabilities discovered in TrueCrypt were fixed, new enhanced security was added which makes the software immune to brute-force attacks. Furthermore, according to the official page, the software is able to convert TrueCrypt containers and "non-system partitions to VeraCrypt format" which again, it is great for those who relied on TrueCrypt for over a decade. Currently, VeraCrypt project development is very active and although there are lot of people that continue to use an older version of TrueCrypt, we recommend them (for obvious security reasons) to try and switch to VeraCrypt.
- support for TrueCrypt (for example: mounting TrueCrypt system partition)
- fixes known TrueCrypt vulnerabilities
- it can detect some Boot Loader tampering for system encryption techniques
- support for plausible deniability concept
- support for parallelized encryption and hardware-accelerated AES (available for multi-core systems)
- multiple combinations of cascaded algorithms to choose from
- improved security when compared with TrueCrypt
- multi-platform: it works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
There are currently no reviews available for this software. You can add one using the add review button!