# Subscribe for updates
Subscribe to MPlayer for Windows updates. Each time this software gets updated, you will receive a push notification.
MPlayer for Windows® provides the binary builds of MPlayer (a free, open source media player, for more info, check the "Features" section below) and MEncoder for Windows®.
All MPlayer builds are packed with 7-Zip archiving software, and you can extract them using any other archiving tool that supports the popular 7-Zip format. This Mplayer for Windows® build doesn't have any installer and to be able to use it you have two options:
A. Extract the content of the 7-Zip archive and run the program from the command prompt.
B. Configure another GUI frontend such as SMPlayer to use it. A good reason for this would be the use of newer builds of MPlayer provided by the owner of this project.
Note: I believe it is important to understand the main difference between this build of Mplayer and others. The author explains this well in just a few lines: "I try to keep my binaries and sources close to the MPlayer upstream source as much as possible. While other builds may include tons of added functionality, this may come at the price of stability.
I aim to provide stability above functionality because untested features may bring about unexpected behavior and crashes, and functionality is useless if crashes result."
Trademark Note 1: Microsoft®, Windows® and other product names are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
- it plays most popular files such as AVI, MPEG, VOB, WMA, WMV, VIVI, OGG, OGM, ASF, MOV, MP4, MKV, etc.
- watch DVD, WMV, VideoCD, SVCD, 3ivx, DivX, H.264 movies
- support for many output drivers such as DirectFB, OpenGL, AAlib, fbdev, Xv, DGA, X11, SVGAlib, etc.
- support for audio output devices: Windows Audio, Mac OS X Audio, OSS (Open Sound System - standard for UNIX), etc.
- the entire updated list of supported (both video and audio) codecs can be found here.