# Subscribe for updates
Subscribe to VLC Media Player updates. Each time this software gets updated, you will receive a push notification.
VLC Media Player (also known as VLC) is a free, open source multimedia player developed by VideoLAN Organization. It is one of the oldest (released for the first time in February 2001) free, portable, cross-platform multimedia player.
You can use it to play all popular multimedia files and also DVDs, CDs, VCDs and other streaming protocols. Unlike other players, it does not require a codec pack to be installed, it can play multimedia files without them. This media player is currently listed under GNU licenses and is available in more than 40 languages. Although there are many releases available for Android, iOS, Linux, BSD, Solaris, and even QNX, Haiku, Syllable, OS/2 we currently list only the Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X versions.
- supports media conversion and streaming
- cross-platform: runs on Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix and other popular operating systems
- support for input media: UDP/RTP/TCP/RTP/DCCP/RTP Unicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, DVD Video, Video CD / VCD, SVCD, Audio CD (no DTS-CD), DVB (Satellite, Digital TV, Cable TV) etc.
- support for input formats: MPEG, MP3, AVI, ASF, WMV, WMA, MP4, MOV, 3GP, MKV, Real, WAV, Raw Audio, FLAC, FLV, MXF etc.
- support for video formats: MPEG, DIVX, Cinepak, Theora, H.261, MJPEG, WMV, Real Video, DV etc.
- support for audio formats: WMA, FLAC, Vorbis, MPEG, AAC, AC3, MLP, ALAC, Speex, Musepack, Wavpack, Real Audio, MIDI, TrueAudio, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, etc.
- support for subtitle formats: DVD, Vobsub, USF,M SVCD, DVB, OGM, CMML etc.
- support for video and audio outputs: Native, X11, XVideo, SDL, FrameBuffer, ASCII Art, S/PDIF, Multi-channel, PulseAudio, PortAudio etc.
- support for video and audio filters: Deinterlace, cropping, mangnification, rotate, image distortion, visualization effects, equalizer etc.