GrandPerspective is a free, open-source app, disk usage analyzer for macOS.
Its primary purpose is to help you scan your disk and see which files and folders are taking up most of your space. The program uses a "so-called treemap" to show you a general view of your occupied space. Each file is displayed as a rectangle with an area that reflects its file size. Multiple files from the same folder are grouped, but their placement is arbitrary.
Note: This software is one of the few, up-to-date, macOS disk usage visualization tools that are using treemaps. GrandPerspective is the macOS alternative to other similar software such as WinDirStat, Spacesniffer (both runs on Microsoft Windows OS) or KDirStat (runs on Linux). There is another app for macOS named *Disk Inventory X but as I am writing this, the latest version was released back in 2005 so I am not sure on which Mac OS X or macOS version runs correctly.
Important: If you use an older version of Mac OS X you might want to download an older version that will work. The author recommends the following versions (you can find them on FossHub GrandPerspective Old Versions).
- for Mac OS X 10.7 and 10.8 download GrandPerspective 1.7.0
- for Mac OS X 10.6 download GrandPerspective 1.5.3
- for Mac OS X 10.5 and PowerPC processors download GrandPerspective 1.5.1
- visualization of your disk usage by treemaps
- highly configurable display of views, choose color mapping schemes
- color files by (name, extension, file type, parent folder, top folder, creation date, last access time, etc.
- configure color palettes or mapping by file type
- view package contents or entire volume (optionally)
- browse views (navigate up and down through folder hierarchy, choose files and folders in the view)
- open and reveal files in Finder
- use Quick Look to preview files and folders
- delete files and folders from the view
- filter specific files and folders (customize filters - mask, filter, exclude)
- support for multiple views
- hard-linked files and folders support
- save views images
- configure your user preference
- fast and responsive GUI
- lightweight and small memory usage program
GrandPerspective seems to be the *only, free, open-source and constantly updated disk usage analyzer for macOS. Therefore, if you wish to support the author and encourage him to keep releasing newer and better versions please consider a donation!